Saturday 16 March 2013

Three Good Things

Recipe books are to the foodie, what crack cocaine is to the socially disappointed. For example, my sister-in-law boasts a library well within three figures. Thankfully, with a total of only twenty one I have kept my habit within the boundaries of only mildly addictive.

This week, Mrs. P. saw fit to add to my collective. I've been dropping some non too subtle hints ever since Christmas that I wouldn't mind slipping into a bit of HFW, but unfortunately, it didn't materialise for either Christmas or Birthday gifts (instead I got the awesome but very intimidating Fat Duck Cook Book, so I can't really complain!). 

Once I finally got my hands on Hugh's Three Good Things on a Plate, I was immediately taken by the quality of the book. The hard back seemed sturdy and hard wearing, the paper also seemed thick enough to withstand the inevitable splatter, spatter and odd splodge that is the life if a working Cook Book.

I loved that every recipe has its own picture, as well as the fact that the whole thing has a reassuring heft. In a pinch, I could always use it as a murder weapon should Mrs. P. suddenly become too expensive to keep in the manner to which she is accustomed.

But really, the real gold is the contents. The more I read this book, the more it seems to crystallise my views on the methodology and meaning of home cooked food for me. It hit such a resonance, that I have to admit, has become a little religious. Espousing the simplistic idea of the fact that its OK to use less ingredients is something that gives me a warm feeling from deep down in my tummy. Actually it's not really the recipes that are the point here, for me, this book represents the radical (if you believe the Great British Menu) idea that good ingredients don't need to be puréed, freeze dried or powdered. Leave behind your plots of gravy spherification, put aside your savoury ice cream plans. Remember how tasty a good BLT is and embrace the theory that all you need to appreciate your food is to understand your ingredients.

For me and for those with whom I share a common cooking denominator this book is essential reading. Buy it, read it, but above all, please understand it. You don't need to follow the recipes, you just need to follow the principles!

No comments:

Post a Comment